UPDATED AND REVISED AS OF MAY 27, 2016
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
Personal information is information about you that is personally identifiable like your name, address, email address, or phone number, that is not otherwise publicly available. Northstar collects personal information in a variety of ways, including when you register with Northstar on this website; when you subscribe to or use Northstar products or services; when you visit Northstar websites or the websites of certain Northstar partners; and when you enter Internet-based contests, promotions or sweepstakes sponsored or administered by Northstar; when you subscribe to receive Northstar e-letters, daily, news, supplier hot specials and similar e-mail notices; when you register for or participate in events, virtual tradeshows and educational programs such as seminars, webinars, etc., that Northstar conducts from time to time.
When you register on our website or for our products and services, we ask for and collect information such as your name, email address, birth date, gender, zip code, occupation, and industry. For some products and services we may also ask for your address and information about you or your business's assets or income. Once you register with Northstar and sign in to our services, you are not anonymous to us.
If you are purchasing something from a Northstar website, we need to know personal information such as your name, email address, mailing address, credit card number, and expiration date. This allows us to process and fulfill your order and to notify you of your order status. This information may also be used by Northstar to notify you of related products and services. Credit card information will not be shared or sold to unaffiliated third parties for any purpose without your express permission, except as necessary to process the transaction.
COOKIES AND RELATED TECHNOLOGIES
In addition, Northstar automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, Northstar cookie information, and the website page you request. Northstar uses this information to help diagnose problems with our servers, for system administration, and to examine our website traffic in aggregate. The information may be collected and used to improve the content of our Web pages and to customize content and/or layout for each user.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION BY NORTHSTAR
If you elect to provide us personal information, we use it primarily to deliver the service you requested. Northstar may use personal information in a variety of ways including the following:
- Northstar may use personal information collected through its website to send out targeted email promotions on behalf of its advertisers and industry partners.
- Northstar may combine information about you that we have with information we obtain from business partners or other companies in order to better deliver products and services that may be of interest and benefit to you.
- Northstar may use personal information to contact users regarding renewing subscriptions to Northstar services and products and to send product announcements or special edition e-letters to online registrants.
- Northstar may use personal information to send notification of Northstar's or our partners' products and services by such methods as email and/or postal mail.
- If you provide financial information, we use that information primarily to verify your credit and collect payments for your purchases, orders, subscriptions, etc.
- If you participate in a Northstar educational program, virtual tradeshow, or other time-sensitive programs, we use personal information to contact you to remind you of upcoming deadlines or additional information concerning these programs.
- Northstar occasionally conducts subscriber and/or user surveys to better target our content to our audiences. The aggregated information collected is sometimes shared with our advertisers, however, we do not share specific individual information with third parties.
- Northstar operates several websites featuring its travel-related content and services. Northstar may share personal information collected from users of its websites internally across these websites to better serve its users.
- Northstar has numerous products and services and therefore numerous email and promotion lists. In an effort to allow users to tailor their participation in Northstar services and promotions, Northstar provides users the ability to choose specific lists or products of interest and opt-out options are product and use/list specific. All email promotions sent from Northstar provide an opt-out link at the bottom of the email pursuant to which users can opt-out of specific products and promotions. If you receive one of these emails and wish to unsubscribe please follow the instructions given in each email or contact email@example.com.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES
In general, Northstar does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies except to provide products or services you have requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
- We may provide personal information about our users to trusted partners and vendors who work on behalf of or with Northstar under confidentiality and similar agreements prohibiting such parties' further use of the information. These companies may use your personal information to help Northstar communicate with you about offers from Northstar and our marketing partners. However, these companies do not have any independent right to use or share this information.
- When you register for an educational program, contest, event, virtual tradeshow, or other promotion that is sponsored by a third party, the third party will be provided personal information unless otherwise posted in connection with the promotion.
- We may share personal information where we have a good faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a judicial proceeding, a court order, or legal process served on Northstar, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- If Northstar is acquired by or merged with another company, we will transfer information about you to this other company in connection with the acquisition or merger.
- Northstar may from time to time share limited personal information such as email addresses, company name, job title and state of business or residence with trusted third parties who deliver content that is likely to be of interest to you.
DISPLAY OF ADVERTISING
As you browse the Phocuswright websites, advertising cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partner, AdRoll, then enables us to present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with Phocuswright. The techniques our partners employ do not collect personal information such as your name, email address, postal address or telephone number. You can visit this page to opt out of AdRoll and their partners' targeted advertising.
DISCUSSION GROUPS AND FORUMS
Discussion groups (including forums, chats and blogs) may be made available for our users on our websites. Participants should be aware that information disclosed in these discussion lists is made available to all members and thus becomes public information. We suggest that you exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personal identifiable information in such discussion groups. Northstar is not responsible for the personal information you choose to submit in these forums.
Users may elect to participate in user forums to exchange information relevant to and of interest to users of the website. To participate in the forums, users will be required to submit information such as a public username, identifying picture or image, areas of expertise, biographical information, and other similar personal information. Your forum username, number of posts, date and time of your post, areas of expertise, and uploaded picture or image will be publicly available to other users of the website. In addition, and other information designated by you in the registration process for public display will also be available to any user of the website. In some circumstances, such as comments to a travel wiki, your name may be displayed in connection with your comments.
This website takes commercially reasonable precautions to protect your personal information. When we transfer and receive certain types of sensitive information such as credit card and payment information, we re-direct users to industry standard SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encrypted servers. As a result, sensitive data you submit to our website such as credit card and payment information is transmitted securely over the Internet.
Northstar is not responsible for any breach of security or for any actions of any third parties that receive the information. Northstar also links to a wide variety of other sites and contains advertisements of third parties. We are not responsible for their privacy policies or how they treat information about their users.
This website is not intended for use by children, and Northstar does not knowingly collect information from children. You must be 18 years old to access or use this website.
UPDATE/CHANGE YOUR USER PROFILE OR PREFERENCES
To update your email address or change your email preferences please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT ELSE I SHOULD KNOW ABOUT MY PRIVACY WHEN ONLINE?
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online - for example through email, discussion lists, or elsewhere - that information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return.
Ultimately, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your personal information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you're online.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California residents who utilize this website for personal, family, or household purposes may request further information about our compliance with this law by e-mailing email@example.com. You should put the statement "Your California Privacy Rights" in the subject field of your email. Please note that we are only required to respond to one request per customer each year, and we are not required to respond to requests made by means other than through this email address.
Our website does not respond to "do-not-track" settings in users' web browsers at this time. However, there are various ways to opt out of interest-based advertising, such as TRUSTe's Ad Choices, the Network Advertising Initiative’s Consumer Opt-Out Page, or you can also visit Google's Ad Settings to manage the ads Google serves.
YOUR CONSENT TO THIS POLICY
HOW TO CONTACT US
NOTICE TO EUROPEAN USERS